Monday, April 16, 2007

State Library of Tasmania's "Unknown"

This stereograph is listed at the State Library of Tasmania as unattributed – “Creator: Unknown” with the title “House in Newtown”. It is dated to 1870, although the majority of Thomas J. Nevin’s early stereographs were produced from his New Town studio in the mid to late 1860s. By 1868 he was principally operating from his city studio at 140 Elizabeth St. Hobart, although he maintained the New Town studio concurrently with his civil service during the years 1876-1880 at the Hobart Town Hall and police work in the courts until the birth of his last child in 1888.



State Library of Tasmania Catalogue
Title: House in New Town
Creator(s): Unknown
Date: ca. 1870
Description: 1 stereoscopic pair of photographs : sepia toned ; 9 x 18 cm. (mount)
Notes: Image size 73 x 74 mm. each.
Subjects:Cottages - Tasmania - Hobart New Town (Tas.) - Buildings, structures, etc. - History - 1851-1901 Wellington, Mount (Tas.)
Format: photograph
Location: W.L. Crowther Library
ADRI: AUTAS001125299388

This is another stereograph of a house in New Town held at the Tasmanian Museum and Art Gallery with unknown attribution, although tentatively attributed to Nevin. The verso shows the transcriber had pen and nib problems when trying to write “New Town”. Neither stereograph represents the Nevin family cottage built by Thomas’ father, John Nevin snr, at Kangaroo Valley in the early 1850s.





Tasmanian Museum and Art Gallery Catalogue
Ref: Q16826.5
ITEM NAME: photograph:
MEDIUM: albumen silver print sepia toned stereoscope,
MAKER: T Nevin ? [Artist];
TITLE: 'New Town'
DATE: 1870c
DESCRIPTION : Cottage in New Town