Friday, June 19, 2015

Thomas Nevin on Mount Wellington 1860s

Naming Mount Wellington
The Bicentenary of the Battle of Waterloo, in which the British, led by the Duke of Wellington defeated the Emperor of France, Napoleon Bonaparte (Belgium, 1815), is being celebrated in Britain this month. View live streaming of the re-enactments 18-21 June 2015 at the official Waterloo 1815 website: www.waterloo2015.org/en

Mount Wellington was commonly referred to as Table Mountain by explorers to Van Diemen's Land (Tasmania) from Bligh's visit in 1791 until 1832 when Matthew Flinders renamed it after the Duke of Wellington. Under dual-naming policy, the mountain is known as kunanyi in Palawa-kani, the revived composite language of Tasmanian Aborigines.

Thomas Nevin on Mount Wellington
These stereographs taken by Thomas J. Nevin, late 1860s, on and around the summit of Mount Wellington/kunanyi, are sourced from the Tasmanian Museum and Art Gallery Collection (2015).



Snow on Mt Wellington "Plough Field"
Stereograph on buff mount 
Thomas J. Nevin late 1860s
TMAG Ref: Q1994.56.16. Verso below.





A group at the Beacon Light, Mt. Wellington
Stereograph on buff mount 
Thomas J. Nevin late 1860s
TMAG Ref: 1994.56.29. Verso below.





A large party sitting atop the Beacon Light, Mt. Wellington
Stereograph on buff mount 
Thomas J. Nevin late 1860s
TMAG Ref: Q16826.7. Verso below.





A group at the Rocking Stone, Mt. Wellington. 
Stereograph on buff mount 
Thomas J. Nevin late 1860s
TMAG Ref: Q1994.56.4. Verso below.





Three men sitting on boulders, Mt. Wellington
Stereograph on buff mount 
Thomas J. Nevin late 1860s
TMAG Ref: Q16826.32. Verso below.





Ferns covered in snow, Mt. Wellington
Stereograph on buff mount 
Thomas J. Nevin late 1860s
TMAG Ref: Q16826.31.1. Verso below.



[Above] A selection of stereographs taken by Thomas J. Nevin, late 1860s, on and around the summit of Mount Wellington/kunanyi. From the Tasmanian Museum and Art Gallery Collection 2015


Samuel Clifford: footsore on Mt Wellington 1865
Thomas Nevin's close friend and colleague Samuel Clifford made a photographic excursion to the Falls (Springs) half way up Mount Wellington on February 9th, 1865, and regretted he had not worn the appropriate foot wear. This is his note left in the Visitors' book:



Visitors Book: Mount Wellington
Item Number: NS4160/1/1
Description: Vistors Book
Further Description:
Start Date: 04 Dec 1860
End Date: 31 Oct 1865
Source: Archives Office of Tasmania

TRANSCRIPT
February 9th
S. Clifford          Hobart Town
G. Wittington     Port Arthur
H. Ballantyne     Hobart Town
Visited the Falls on a Photographic Excursion, consider our trip amply repaid by the splendid scenery but regret the Gentlemen in the preceding pages [did not leave his address =  struck through] who made the journey to the Falls and back again in 2½ hours did not leave address that we might have obtained the name of his Boot maker. -
This is place where the guide to the mountain Mr. Woods and his family resided and where the visitors to the Falls signed the Visitor's Book, photographed by Samuel Clifford on this visit or later, reprinted with the date  ca. 1873. A photograph of Samuel Clifford on Mt. Wellington also survives, taken by another photographer, probably Nevin.



Archives Office Tasmania
Huts at the Springs on Mt Wellington [ca. 1873]
Physical description: 1 photograph : sepia toned ; 11 x 19 cm.
Notes: Title inscribed in ink below image ; date noted in pencil at lower right of image on album page ; item number noted in ink at centre left of image on album page.
Exact size 105 x 184 mm. "Tasmanian scenes" also known as "Clifford album 1".



Mount Wellington/kunanyi, with the Derwent Entertainment Centre foreground, taken from the River Derwent. Photo copyright © KLW NFC Imprint 2015 ARR.