Albert E. Nevin 1914 -1917, portraits with horses

CHILDREN of ELIZABETH R. DAY & PHOTOGRAPHER THOMAS J. NEVIN
ALBERT E. NEVIN and EMILY M. DAVIS
HORSE RACING TASMANIA

Albert E. Nevin (1888-1955) was the seventh child, fifth son and last born child to photographer Thomas J. Nevin (1842-1923) and his wife Elizabeth Rachel Nevin nee Day (1847-1914).

Albert E. Nevin, with horse 1914

Youngest son of Thomas and Elizabeth Nevin, Albert E. Nevin, Hobart, 1914
Copyright © KLW NFC Private Collection 2009 ARR.

To Miss E. Davis, From Mr. A. Nevin, 1914

On the verso of the photo of Albert Nevin with horse is written:
"To Miss E. Davis, From Mr. A. Nevin, 1914"

Albert E. Nevin, Hobart, 1914

Albert Nevin was born at 236 Elizabeth Street, Hobart. He married Emily Maud Davis (1891-1971) on the 5th March, 1917, at Launceston, Tasmania. He died in 1955, aged 67 yrs. Emily was three years younger but died sixteen years later, in 1971, aged 80 yrs.



Emily Maud Davis (standing) with her mother Frances Davis nee Stewart, ca. 1909
Photographed at Burrows & Co, the Quadrant. Launceston, blind stamp on recto.
Copyright © KLW NFC Private Collection 2009 ARR.



Painted portrait of Albert Nevin with pacer ca. 1917
Copyright © KLW NFC 2009 Private Collection ARR. Watermarked.

Above: the painted image, richly coloured (scanned here), of Albert Nevin with his horse, a pacer, probably dates to ca. 1917. It was either painted over a copy of the 1914 photograph, or the artist closely modelled the painting from it. The painting sat above a fireplace for many years, and still exists in its original frame.

Albert most likely chose the black and white photograph as the best representation of himself he could give his fiancée Emily Maud Davis in 1914, and having succeeded in winning her hand, presented the painted version to Emily on their wedding day, March 5th 1917 in Launceston.

By August 13, 1917, they were back in Hobart and Albert was racing again, at Moonah in the Derwent Handicap.

RELATED POSTS main weblog


On board the "City of Hobart" 31st January 1872