Saturday, April 30, 2016

Captain Edward Goldsmith's cargo ex London Docks per Rattler 1850

LONDON DOCKS merchants and lightermen 1850
CARGO to VDL 1850 per RATTLER, barque 522 tons
CAPTAIN EDWARD GOLDSMITH, master



Birdseye view of London Docks
Illustrated London News, page 204,Sept. 27, 1845

This voyage would be Captain Edward Goldsmith's last round-trip as master of his fastest and finest barque, the Rattler, 522 tons, from London to the port of Hobart, Van Diemen's Land (Tasmania). The barque was cleared at the Western Dock, London Docks, across the river from Rotherhithe, on 3rd July 1850 and sat mid-stream in the Thames for more than a month while lightermen loaded the cargo until ready to sail from the Downs by 22 August, 1850. Cabin passengers numbered seven, with four more in steerage. They arrived at Hobart three and half months later, on 14th December 1850. The return voyage of the Rattler to London would commence on 19th March 1851, after three months at Hobart while Captain Goldsmith attended to his construction of the ferry Kangaroo and the development of a patent slip at his Domain shipyard.



TRANSCRIPT

14 - Arrived the barque Rattler, 522 tons, Goldsmith from the Downs 26th August, with a general cargo. Cabin - Mr. and Mrs Cox, Mr and Mrs Vernon, Matthew and Henry Worley, C. J. Gilbert; steerage, Mrs. Downer, John Williams, Wm. Merry, Charles Daly.
Source: The Courier (Hobart, Tas. : 1840 - 1859) Wed 18 Dec 1850 Page 2 SHIPPING NEWS.



Detail of document below:
Signature of Captain Edward Goldsmith on list of crew and passengers per Rattler from London, at Hobart, 26 December 1850. Crew listed by name: 22; passengers listed by name: 12, one more than was reported in the Mercury, 18 Dec. 1850, a T. B. Watern [?]



Rattler crew and passengers arrivals Dec. 1850
Source:Archives Office of Tasmania
Cargo, Passenger and Crew Lists
Customs Dept: CUS36/1/442 Image 203

Customs House at London recorded on the Rattler's Entry and Cocket documents a staggering quantity of spirits, beer, wine and alcohol-related products for duty-free shipment to Hobart on this voyage. The impact of such a large consignment arriving at the penal colony of Van Diemen's Land, a small society where the transportation of prisoners from Britain was still ongoing, and where the total population numbered less than 70, 000 persons, would have been considerable, affecting women of all classes, free-settlers and locally-born included, but women with under-sentence convictions were especially vulnerable to more conduct offences, more alcohol-related offences, and higher mortality rates (Kippen & McCalman UniMelb 2014).

Without doubt, however, the most unusual consignment of this voyage were three horses, three 3yr old fillies purchased by John and James Lord from the bloodstock of the Duke of Richmond, Goodwood House, West Essex, UK.  Read the full story in this post here.

Captain Edward Goldsmith was praised by the colonists of VDL as a mariner of exceptional skill, and a generous importer of exotic biotica and engineering equipment, some at his own expense, but he was also an astute businessman where the production and supply of alcohol was involved. His family's tenanted hop fields dating back to the mid-18th century in the parishes of Chalk and Higham, Kent,  provided export quality beer which helped supply his father's inn and victualling house, the Princess Victoria Inn, Rotherhithe, formerly known as the Ship on Launch. It was situated opposite Brunel's Thames Tunnel, which was commenced in 1825 and finally completed in 1843, drawing visitors from all over, and proving a boon to local businesses. When Richard Goldsmith died at Rotherhithe in 1839, he bequeathed the Princess Victoria Inn - or "The Vic" as it was called by locals - plus outbuildings and cottages on the corner of Deptford Lower Road and Paradise Row to his daughter Deborah Meopham Goldsmith (National Archives UK Ref: PROB 11/1910/347). His sons Captain Edward Goldsmith and John Goldsmith inherited the land and tenanted houses, including Craddock Cottage where Charles Dickens spent his honeymoon in 1837, at Chalk and Higham, Kent, the management of which was largely left to John Goldsmith while Edward pursued his profession as master mariner, marine insurer and engineer from the late 1820s until retirement at Gadshill, Higham, in 1856.



Discharging cargo at Hobart, a deepwater port
Archives Office Tasmania [n.s.,n.d.]

Western Dock & Lightermen
The Rattler was cleared on 3rd July 1850 from the Western Dock, London Docks, on the northern side of the Thames, and spent the next six weeks moored mid stream while being loaded by lightermen until setting sail on 22 August 1850. Aside from the predominant cargo of alcohol, there was a case for the Governor of VDL, Sir Wm Denison; a box for the Royal Society; iron and coal from the Welsh "Iron King" William Crawshay II; and drugs from Mr. Lucas of Cheapside. There were transhipments too from Rotterdam ex-Apollo of Geneva spirits, i.e. gin, the English word derived from jenever, genièvre, also called Dutch gin or Hollands, British plain malt spirits distilled from malt ex-The Earl of Aberdeen, and Mr Cheesewright's cargo of Spanish and Portugal wine from Jersey in the Channel Islands.



Plan of the London docks as completed, 1849
Henry Robinson Palmer (1795–1844) British civil engineer

Source: Oxford University Bodleian Library 

Of the Western Dock in 1849, journalist, and playwright Henry Mayhew wrote: -
The Western Dock comprises 20 acres; the Eastern, 7 acres and the Wapping Basin, 3 acres. The entire structure cost 4,000,000l. of money. The wall alone cost 65,000l. The walled-in range of dock possesses water-room for 302 sail of vessels, exclusive of lighters; warehouse-room for 220,000 tons of goods; and vault-room for 60,000 pipes of wine. The tobacco warehouse alone covers five acres. The number of ships entered in the six months ending May 31st, 1849, was 704 , measuring upwards of 195,000 tons. Six weeks are allowed for unloading, beyond which period the charge of a farthing per ton is made for the first two weeks, and halfpenny per ton afterwards. The business of the Docks is managed by a Court of Directors, who sit at the London Dock House, in New Bank-buildings, whose capital is 4,000,000l.; and there have been as many as 2900 labourers employed in the docks in one day....
Read Henry Mayhew's complete article here ...

Lighterman at Western Dock, the well-named Mr Middlemist, would have gauged the power of the currents and tides, and with their help, rowed the 23 casks on board his lighter out to the Rattler before signing off on this cocket:



Mr. Middlemist, lighterman
Source: Archives Office of Tasmania
Cargo, Passenger and Crew Lists
Customs Dept: CUS36/1/442 Image 679

Mr. Middlemist would have steered his lighter with long oars called "sweeps" to ferry cargo as well as crew and passengers from the dock to the ship moored in the river. "Lighters" - a name derived from the Old Dutch or German "lichten" meaning lighten or unload - were flat-bottomed barges in use until about the 1960s. This video is an engaging and invaluable contemporary account by former Thames lightermen of their personal ancestry, working conditions, and community.



At YouTube:The Weekend Millionaires - An Oral History of the Thames Lightermen
The profession has employed generations of Londoners with the lightermen carrying cargo and the watermen carrying passengers. For hundreds of years generations of families and communities have worked on the river with a rich history of apprenticeships, work and family life and culture developing around it. Whilst the trade for watermen dwindled with the construction of bridges, the lightermen continued to grow with London's trade up until the 1960s when containerisation and then the closure of London's dockyards led to a decline in the trade. Today far fewer people work on the Thames but for those who do, or who have retired in the past 30-40 years, there remain vivid memories and important stories to tell. This project aims to record and share some of these.
Ted Hunt shows the skills of lighterage in this video:



At YouTube

The Merchants & their Exports to VDL
The three mast barque Rattler was designed specifically for the merchant trade between London and Hobart, Van Diemen’s Land (Tasmania). Weighing 442 tons, with maximum capacity of 522 tons when loaded, and measuring 114.5 x 28.7 x 19.5 feet, the vessel was built at Sunderland in 1846 for Robert Brooks of London.



Rattler, 1846: E. Goldsmith, master and R. Brooks owner
Lloyd’s Register of British and Foreign Shipping
Gregg Press Limited, 1846

In all, sixty-seven cockets were signed by exporters and 530 listed items were cleared for the Rattler, Goldsmith, master, for Hobart Town, at London Docks on 22nd August 1850. A glance over these documents (viewable at ATO, CUS36/1/442, images 654-789 ) would give an estimate of more than twenty tons of cargo loaded by that date, and to the value of many thousands of pounds (l =£ pounds) sterling, several totalling £2000 on a single cocket, a voyage which ship owner and exporters alike were careful to entrust to a master mariner with an impeccable record. The numbers pencilled at the top of the second page of this final victualling bill show the collector's and searcher's calculations: 3139 ÷ 3500 × 522 = 468 tons, making the Rattler lighter, safer and faster than the maximum proscribed weight of 522 tons.



Victualling bill: 14 "settlers" rather than "passengers" ,
Ship's food supplies for crew and passengers
Source: Archives Office of Tasmania
Cargo, Passenger and Crew Lists
Customs Dept: CUS36/1/442 Images 654, 655

DUTCH GIN
This Entry and Cocket "For Transhipment Only" and second page indicates that 300 gallons of Geneva spirits , i.e. gin, etc from the ship Apollo was also signed by lighterman Mr. Middlemist, one of many lightermen whose signatures appear on these cockets. By 1853, he was listed as Middlemist & Hammond, Custom House Agents, in Kelly's Post Office London Directory 1853 [click here].



Dutch Gin ex-Apollo: exporters W. H. Smith and J. Browning & Co. of 37 Mark Lane:
Three hundred proof gallons Geneva Spirits not sweetened the produce of Holland and Twenty Hundred weight of common foreign glass bottles
Source: Archives Office of Tasmania
Cargo, Passenger and Crew Lists
Customs Dept: CUS36/1/442 Images 782, 783

SPANISH WINES
White wines, sherry and brandy shipped by Robert Blake Byass on board the Rattler were from the vineyards and winery of Manuel María González in the Jerez region of southern Spain. Agent in England to the company which Byass formed with González in 1836, named simply González Byass, he paid £400 for this cargo, free of duty, with the standard declaration:
I, Robert Blake Byass, do hereby enter Goods the Growth, Produce or Manufacture of the United Kingdom not prohibited by Law to be exported, and not liable to any Duty on the exportation thereof.


Robert Blake Byass
Source: The Company's website: http://www.gonzalezbyass.com/en/



Exporter Robert Blake Byass
Source: Archives Office of Tasmania
Cargo, Passenger and Crew Lists
Customs Dept: CUS36/1/442 Images 743, 744



Classed and cleared from London. Lighterman Mr R. M. Phillips, of Phillips, Grave & Phillips, Custom House Agents, signed this document on 8 August 1850. Included in this shipment were 8 pounds common green glass bottles.

Transhipments Wines and spirits from exporter Robert Blake Byass 192 casks and 30 kegs
Source: Archives Office of Tasmania
Cargo, Passenger and Crew Lists
Customs Dept: CUS36/1/442 Images 743, 744

FOREIGN BRANDY



Brandy: exporter Richard Smith:
Two thousand gallons Brandy proof spirits not sweetened Foreign
Source: Archives Office of Tasmania
Cargo, Passenger and Crew Lists
Customs Dept: CUS36/1/442 Image 700

BRITISH RUM from AMERICA



Rum: exporter James Joseph Roope
Six thousand proof gallons Rum spirits not sweetened the produce of and imported from British possessions in America
Source: Archives Office of Tasmania
Cargo, Passenger and Crew Lists
Customs Dept: CUS36/1/442 Image 678

TOBACCO



Tobacco: exporter J. Frederick Dunbar
Two thousand pounds manufactured tobacco
Source: Archives Office of Tasmania
Cargo, Passenger and Crew Lists
Customs Dept: CUS36/1/442 Image 756

LIQUORICE JUICE



James Cook & Co. exporters
Ten hundred weight of Liquorice Juice
Source: Archives Office of Tasmania
Cargo, Passenger and Crew Lists
Customs Dept: CUS36/1/442 Image 750

IRON from WALES
William Crawshay was successful in getting 1343 cwt of iron loaded onto the Rattler on 8th August 1850, which was cleared and marked as "shipped", although the supporting document for his load showed 23 tons of iron bars, which - if shipped - would have constituted almost 8/10s of the load in the hold (20 hundredweight = 1 ton in Imperial long measure!)



Anon. William Crawshay II c. 1830
WILLIAM CRAWSHAY II (1788 – 1867) was the day to day manager of the Cyfarthfa and Hirwaun works, and bought other ironworks at Treforest and in the Forest of Dean. It is he who is generally called the ‘Iron King’ and who built Cyfarthfa castle and the Caversham Park mansion. His father thought that spending £25,000 on Cyfarthfa Castle was a needless extravagance. During his period the works grew immensely, and enormous quantities of iron were manufactured and great quantities of coal raised to feed the furnaces.
Source: Crawshays Family
http://www.alangeorge.co.uk/Cyfarthfa,TheCrawshays.htm



Exporter "Iron King" William Crawshay
1282 Bars of Iron - 23 tons
60 Bdls of Hoop Iron 1and half tons
1 cask rivets
1343 cleared at London 9 August 1850
Shipped
Source: Archives Office of Tasmania
Cargo, Passenger and Crew Lists
Customs Dept: CUS36/1/442 Images 768, 769

DRUGS
The unnamed proprietor of the Oatlands Dispensary received a shipment of assorted "drugs etc", which consisted mainly of tinctures, spices, oils and essences from J. Lucas, 63 Cheapside, London, advertising within days of the cargo unloading at New Quay that "no expense will be spared in fitting it to supply to the wants of the public, in confidence ..."



Drugs from J. Lucas of Cheapside
Source: The Courier (Hobart, Tas. : 1840 - 1859) Sat 28 Dec 1850 Page 3 Classified Advertising

ADDENDA:
Henry Mayhew The Morning Chronicle: Labour and the Poor, 1849-50



LETTER III
Friday. October 26, 1849

LONDON DOCKS (THE).
Situated on the left bank of the Thames, between ST. KATHERINE'S DOCKS and RATCLIFFE HIGHWAY. The first and largest dock (John Rennie, engineers) was opened Jan.30th, 1805; the entrance from the Thames at Shadwell, Henry R. Palmer, engineer, was made in 1831; and the New Tea Warehouses, capacious enough to receive 120,000 chests, were erected in 1844-45. This magnificent establishment comprises an area of 90 acres - 35 acres of water, and 12,980 feet of quay and jetty frontage, with three entrances from the Thames, viz., Hermitage 40 feet in width; Wapping, 40 feet; and Shadwell, 45 feet. The Western Dock comprises 20 acres; the Eastern, 7 acres and the Wapping Basin, 3 acres. The entire structure cost 4,000,000l. of money. The wall alone cost 65,000l. The walled-in range of dock possesses water-room for 302 sail of vessels, exclusive of lighters; warehouse-room for 220,000 tons of goods; and vault-room for 60,000 pipes of wine. The tobacco warehouse alone covers five acres. The number of ships entered in the six months ending May 31st, 1849, was 704 , measuring upwards of 195,000 tons. Six weeks are allowed for unloading, beyond which period the charge of a farthing per ton is made for the first two weeks, and halfpenny per ton afterwards. The business of the Docks is managed by a Court of Directors, who sit at the London Dock House, in New Bank-buildings, whose capital is 4,000,000l.; and there have been as many as 2900 labourers employed in the docks in one day.

"The Tobacco Warehouses are rented by Government at 14,000l. a-year. They will contain about 24,000 hogsheads, averaging 1,200lbs. each and equal to 30,000 tons of general rnerchandise. Passages and alleys, each several hundred feet long, are bordered on both sides by close and compact ranges of hogsheads, with here and there small space for the counting house of the officer of Customs, under whose inspection all the arrangements are conducted. Near the north-east corner of the warehouses is a door inscribed 'To the Kiln,' where damaged tobacco is burnt, the long chimney which carries off the smoke being jocularly called 'The Queen's Pipe.' -Knight's London, iii. 76.

This is the great depot for the stock of wines belonging to the Wine Merchants of London. Port is principally kept in pipes sherry in hogsheads. On the 30th of June,1849, the Dock contained 14,783 pipes of port ; 13,107 hogsheads of sherry ; 64 pipes of French wine; 796 pipes of Cap wine ; 7607 cases of wine, containing 19,140 dozen; 10,113 hogsheads of brandy; and 3642 pipes of rum. The total of port was 14,783 pipes, 4460 hogsheads, and 3161 quarter casks.

"The courts and alleys round about the London Docks swarm with low lodging-houses, and are inhabited either by the Dock labourers, sack-makers, watermen, or that peculiar class of London poor who pick up a precarious living by the water side. The open streets themselves have all, more or less, a maritime character. Every other shop is either stocked with gear for the ship or for the sailor. The windows of one house are filled with quadrants and bright brass sextants, chronometers and huge mariner's compasses, with their cards trembling with the motion of the cabs and waggons passing in the street. Then comes the sailor's cheap shoe-mart, rejoicing in the attractive sign of 'Jack and his Mother.' Every public-house is a Jolly Tar,' or something equally taking. Then come sail makers, their windows stowed with ropes and lines smelling of tar. All the grocers are provision agents, and exhibit in their windows tin cases of meat and biscuits, and every article is warranted to keep in any climate. The corners of the streets, too, are mostly monopolised by slopsellers, their windows party-coloured with bright red and blue flannel shirts, the doors nearly blocked up with hammocks and well-oiled 'nor' westers,' and the front of the house itself nearly covered with canvas trousers, rough pilot coats, and shiney black dreadnoughts. The passengers alone would tell you that you were in the maritime districts of London. Now you meet a satin-waistcoated mate, or a black sailor with his large fur cap, or else a Custom-house officer in his brass-buttoned jacket.

"As you enter the dock, the sight of the forest of masts in the distance, and the tall chimneys vomiting clouds of black smoke, and the many- coloured flags flying in the air, has a most peculiar effect; while the sheds, with the monster wheels arching through the roofs, look like the paddle-boxes of huge steamers. Along the quay, you see new men with their faces blue with indigo, and now gaugers with their long brass-tipped rule dripping with spirit from the cask they have been probing; then will come a group of flaxen-haired sailors, chattering German; and next a black sailor with a cotton handkerchief twisted turban-like around his head. Presently a blue-smocked butcher, with fresh meat and a bunch of cabbages in the tray on his shoulder, and shortly afterwards a mate with green parroquete in a wooden cage. Here you will see sitting on a bench a sorrowful- looking woman, with new bright cooking tins at her feet, telling you she is an emigrant preparing for her voyage. As you pass along this quay the air is pungent with tobacco, at that it overpowers you with the fumes of rum. Then you are nearly sickened with the stench of hides and huge bins of horns, and shortly afterwards the atmosphere is fragrant with coffee and spice. Nearly everywhere you meet stocks of cork, or else yellow bins of sulphur or lead-coloured copper ore. As you enter this warehouse, the flooring is sticky, as if it had been newly tarred, with the sugar that has leaked through the casks, and as you descend into the dark vaults you see long lines of lights hanging from the black arches, and lamps flitting about midway. Here you sniff the fumes of the wine, and there the peculiar fungous smell of dry-rot. Then the jumble of sounds as you pass along the dock blends in anything but sweet concord. The sailors are singing boisterous nigger songs from the Yankee ship just entering, the cooper is hammering at the casks on the quay, the chains of the cranes, loosed of their weight, rattle as they fly up again; the ropes splash in the water; some captain shouts his orders through his hands; a goat bleats from some ship in the basin; and empty casks roll along the stones with a hollow drum-like sound. Here the heavy laden ships are down far below the quay, and you descend to them by ladders, whilst in another basin they are high up out of the water, so that their green copper sheathing is almost level with the eye of the passenger, while above his head a long line of bow-sprite stretch far over the quay, and from them hang spars and planks as a gangway to each ship.

"This immense establishment is worked by from one to three thousand hands, according as the business is either "brisk or slack.

"He who wishes to beheld one of the most extraordinary and least known scenes of this metropolis should wend his way to the London Dock gates at half-past seven in the morning. There he will see congregated within the principal entrance masses of men of all grades, looks, and kinds. There are decayed and bankrupt master butchers, master bakers, publicans, grocers, old soldiers, old sailors, Polish refugees, broken-down gentlemen, discharged lawyers' clerks, suspended Government clerks, almsmen, pensioners, servants, thieves- indeed, every one who wants a loaf and is willing to work for it. The London Dock is one of the few places in the metropolis where men can get employment without either character or recommendation." ,,,

Mode of Admission.--The basins and shipping are open to the public; but to inspect the vaults and warehouses an order must be obtained from the Secretary at the London Dock House in New Bank-buildings; ladies are not admitted after 1 p. m.

Henry Mayhew, "Labour and the Poor" in the Morning Chronicle for Oct., 1849.
[click here for full text of this article quoted by Cunningham]
Peter Cunningham, Hand-Book of London, 1850
Source: Victorian London

Thursday, April 21, 2016

Captain & Mrs Elizabeth Goldsmith: Rattler's maiden voyage 1846

CAPTAIN EDWARD GOLDSMITH
THE RATTLER 1846
CONSIGNEES AND CARGO



Edward Goldsmith's signature 26 December 1850
Crew and passengers arriving Hobart per Rattler 550 tons
Archives Office Tasmania: CUS36/1/442 Image 203

Before taking command of the Rattler in July 1846, Captain Edward Goldsmith was in command of the barque Angelina on the return voyage to London from the round trip to Sydney NSW when he had a narrow escape. The Angelina, 434 tons, laden with produce and 36 passengers, had cleared the Heads at Sydney on February 22nd 1846, but two weeks later, on 7th March as the barque entered the Southern Ocean nearing Cape Horn, the Angelina was struck by an iceberg, sustaining damage to the foredeck and losing the bowsprit. Delayed a week at Rio de Janeiro for repairs, Captain Goldsmith sailed the Angelina safely back past Portsmouth on the 4th July 1846. Barely twenty days back on shore in London, he was ready - and so was his wife Elizabeth Goldsmith - to set sail again. He took command of the Rattler, new off the stocks, on 24th July 1846, his sights set once more for Van Diemen's Land.

The Rattler
The A1 barque Rattler was designed specifically for the merchant trade between London and Hobart, Van Diemen's Land (Tasmania). Weighing 522 tons and measuring 114.5 x 28.7 x 19.5 feet, the vessel was built at Sunderland in 1846 for Robert Brooks of London.



The Rattler cost £5750 plus another £390.17.6 for yellow metal bottom sheathing
Source: Robert Brooks and Co & Robert Towns and Co. (1822). Records of Robert Brooks and Co., 
NLA http://nla.gov.au/nla.obj-230942481
Photo © KLW NFC 2016 ARR

Captain Edward Goldsmith (1804-1869) of Rotherhithe, Surrey and Higham, Kent, commanded this fine vessel from its launch in July 1846 on her maiden voyage to Hobart, until his last voyage as Master in 1850 before handing over to Captain Waddell in 1852.



Rattler, 1846: E. Goldsmith, master and R. Brooks owner
Lloyd's Register of British and Foreign Shipping
Gregg Press Limited, 1846

VOYAGES on the RATTLER, Captain Edward Goldsmith, Master:
1846: arrived Hobart from London, 14th November 1846, departed 21st January 1847.
1847: arrived Hobart from London, 11th November 1847, departed 29th January 1848.
1848: arrived Hobart from London, 4th December 1848, departed 25th February 1849.
1849: arrived Hobart from London, 27th November 1849, departed 26th February 1850.
1850: arrived Hobart from London, 13th December 1850, departed 19th March 1851.

Maiden Voyage: arrival at Hobart
Elizabeth Goldsmith (nee Day, 1802-1875) sailed on the Rattler's maiden voyage with her husband Captain Edward Goldsmith in command, departing London on 24th July 1846, arriving at Hobart, Van Diemen's Land (Tasmania) on 11th November 1846. General cargo included a consignment of equipment and uniforms for the 65th Regiment for government Ordnance Stores, fine clothing and furnishings for sale by local merchants, two pianos, alcohol and foodstuffs, stationery, personal effects etc etc (see consignees lists below). The Goldsmiths stayed two months during a glorious summer in Hobart, departing on the Rattler, 21st January 1847, with nineteen passengers and a cargo of whale products and wool destined for London.





Marine Board Report and Port Officer's Log, Rattler Nov. 11th, 1846
Archives Office Tasmania
https://stors.tas.gov.au/CSO92-1-17 page 96

DETAILS: Report of the Arrival of the Barque Rattler Nov. 11, 1846
From London, sailed July 24th, State of health good, Master E. Goldsmith, Owner R. Brooks Esq., Tons 522,  Port of registration London, Build British, Crew 21, Convicts [m,f, blank], Cargo general, Time when boarded 8.30a.m,  Bearing and distance at Iron Pot Lighthouse NW. 6 Miles, Wind NNW, Weather Fine, Pilots name Lawrence. Agent T. D. Chapman For Van Diemen's Land Cabin Passengers Mr Spode, Mrs Goldsmith. Steerage [blank] For New South Wales [blank].

"Our old friend Captain Goldsmith, late of the Wave" was the affectionate report by the Hobart Courier as the Rattler waited to berth while the Sea Queen was taken off.



Source: The Courier (Hobart, Tas. : 1840 - 1859) Wed 28 Oct 1846 Page 3 LOCAL.

Just one other cabin passenger arrived at Hobart on the Rattler's maiden voyage with Elizabeth Goldsmith; Josiah Spode, eldest son of farmer, chief police magistrate and colonial civil servant Josiah Spode of New Norfolk and Stoke Cottage. New Town, Tasmania and great grandson of Josiah Spode of Stoke Lodge, Stoke-on-Trent, England, founder of the famous Staffordshire pottery. This Josiah, the eldest of many Spode children living in Hobart, studied medicine in England and returned to medical practice in Melbourne.



Source: The Courier (Hobart, Tas. : 1840 - 1859) Sat 14 Nov 1846 Page 2 LOCAL.

TRANSCRIPT
The ” RATTLER” – This fine barque, new off the stocks, Captain Goldsmith, (formerly of the Wave,) arrived on Wednesday, having made her maiden passage from the Downs in 110 days. She has brought despatches for the Lieutenant-Governor, and a considerable mail with papers to the 24th July. These, however, have lost much of their interest from the later intelligence we are enabled to lay before our readers via India. The Rattler has a general cargo, and brought out as passenger Mr Spode, son of Josiah Spode, Esq …

Cargo and Consignees at Hobart
For Captain Goldsmith's agent at Hobart, importer and exporter Thomas D. Chapman, the most significant consignee of cargo was the Lieutenant-Governor William Denison. The Rattler was carrying equipment and uniforms for the 65th Regiment who were soon to depart for NSW and New Zealand. For Captain Goldsmith on this voyage, his interest rested on the delivery of spirits and beer to brewer and publican John Mezger, some sourced probably from his own hop fields in Kent. And for Elizabeth Goldsmith a tidy profit turned from distributing to Hobart's shopkeepers such as R. Lewis and Sons, and Messrs Robertson and Guthrie the merchandise she had bought in London of fine linens, hats, ginghams, dresses and stays, gloves, rugs and home furnishings. Among the rest of the cargo were two pianos for W. Boys, etc etc : -



Imports per Rattler from London
Source: The Courier (Hobart, Tas. : 1840 - 1859)  Wed 25 Nov 1846  Page 2  SHIPPING NEWS.



"Rattler" Goldsmith master from London Reported 13th November 1846
Item Number: CUS36/1/442 View this record online image 3

The Mr. Pocock of "To Mr Pocock Landing Waiter" inscribed on the cover was Zachary Pearce Pocock (1816-1895) who was employed as a Customs Officer, Hobart, between 1843 and 1847. His occupation was listed as "Customs Dept." when he registered the birth of his child, Zachary Pearce Thurlow Pocock, born to Charlotte Pocock formerly Thurlow in Hobart on 19th July 1845, baptised by Dr. Bedford on 8th August 1845 (AOT Names Index RGD33/1/2/ no 1120.),  Qualified as a physician and member of the Royal College of Surgeons and Apothecaries' Hall of London, Zachary Pearce Pocock and Charlotte Thurlow were married in London in 1843, and arrived in Hobart the same year. Within weeks of Captain Goldsmith's departure for London on the Rattler in January 1847, Zachary Pearce Pocock, wife and two daughters departed Hobart for London on the Tropic in March, having sold their furniture from their residence in New Town Road. While in London, he published his letter addressed to the Right Honourable Earl Grey on the system of transportation and convict discipline … showing the evils attendant upon the system pursued in Van Diemen’s Land, and the remedy for those evils; with suggestions for the profitable employment of convict labour (1847).

Zachary Pearce Pocock was not just the Landing Waiter at New Quay, Hobart to Captain Edward Goldsmith. He was well acquainted with the Pococks through a family connection. In 1841, Captain Goldsmith was a signatory witness to the marriage of Zachary's sister Rachael Pocock to Captain James Day, brother of Captain Goldsmith's wife, Elizabeth Goldsmith nee Day, at St. David's, Hobart. Rachael Pocock (ca. 1812-1857) was mother of photographer Thomas Nevin's wife, Elizabeth Rachel Day. The elder of two daughters (the second, Maria Sophia Day was born in Hobart in 1853), Elizabeth Rachel Day was born in London and baptised 28th April 1847 at St. Mary's Rotherhithe. One reason for Zachary' and Charlotte Pocock's voyage back to London, departing in March 1847 and arriving in late June 1847 may have been the desire to visit his sister Rachael and his new-born niece Elizabeth Rachel Day. They remained in London long enough for Zachary's wife Charlotte to give to birth to his own daughter Ann Mary Pearce Gibson Pocock six months later, on 13th December 1847. She was baptised at All Souls, Marylebone, London on 25th January 1848.

Zachary Pearce Pocock returned to Hobart in 1849 with his family to set up practice as surgeon and accoucheur at Green Ponds, VDL (Tasmania).  Despite extensively advertising his practice, it was not a success. By the 1860s he had become an ordained missionary, addressed as the Rev. Zachary Pearce Pocock, chaplain of the remote settlement at Emu Bay (Burnie) Tasmania but without the promised stipend, he began farming the church burial ground. He published pamphlets on the virtues of Tasmania, on emigration and transportation, and wrote many letters to newspaper editors on railway development and capital punishment. He died at Sydney in 1895. His sister Rachael Day nee Pocock died of consumption at New Town, Hobart, in 1857. Her daughter, his niece and also the much adored niece of Captain and Elizabeth Goldsmith, Elizabeth Rachel Nevin nee Day, died at Hobart in 1914. Husband Thomas J. Nevin who was buried with the rank of "photographer" died nine years later in 1923.

GOODS LANDED 1846-47





Goods landed, consignees' names, signed Edwd Goldsmith
Archives Office Tasmania
Item Number: CUS36/1/442 Images 48,49,50
View this record online

ADVERTISEMENT: Goods ex Rattler Nov 1846



The Courier (Hobart, Tas. : 1840 - 1859) Wed 18 Nov 1846 Page 1

Thomas D. Chapman, agent



Honourable T D Chapman
Description:1 photographic print [undated, unattributed]
ADRI: NS407-1-19
Source: Archives Office of Tasmania

ADB Biography
http://adb.anu.edu.au/biography/chapman-thomas-daniel-3195
Thomas Daniel Chapman (1815-1884), merchant and politician, was born at Bedford, England. At 14 he entered the service of the East India Co. and made several voyages to the Orient. In 1837 he settled in London and soon became a partner in the firm of John and Stephen Kennard, general merchants. In 1841 on their behalf he took emigrants and stores to Circular Head for the Van Diemen's Land Co. and then moved to Hobart Town to act as agent for the Kennards. In 1843 he married Katherine, daughter of John Swan, a Hobart shopkeeper. In 1847 he established at Hobart his own independent firm, T. D. Chapman & Co., importers and exporters; the main exports were wool, whale oil and timber, while the imports were groceries, hardware and clothing from England, sugar and corks from Mauritius and tea from Ceylon.

He began his political career as president of the Hobart branch of the militant Anti-Transportation League, and in 1851 was elected to the new part-elective Legislative Council. Read more ...

Uniforms of the 65th Regiment, for Ordnance
Inwards: 826 bales of clothing, 51 cases of shoes, 191 casks medicines etc



Manifest copy of items per Rattler 1846 for the 65th Regiment
Archives Office of Tasmania
https://stors.tas.gov.au/CUS36-1-442 Image 97



Cocket and entry of uniforms for the 65th Regiment
New Quay, Rattler, Goldsmith, master, Hobart VDL, 18th January 1847
Archives Office of Tasmania
https://stors.tas.gov.au/CUS36-1-442 Image 45

NATIONAL LIBRARY of NEW ZEALAND Collections
Great Britain. Army. Regiment of Foot, 65th (2nd Yorkshire, North Riding)
Hickety Pips, The Royal Tigers

The York and Lancaster Regiment ("Royal Tigers") or better known in New Zealand as the "Hickety Pips" by Maori, was in New Zealand for just over 18 years, between 1846-1865, as the 65th (2nd Yorkshire North Riding) Regiment. The regiment arrived in three detachments. The first under the command of Major Wyatt, with about 550 all ranks, landed on 19 November 1846 at Russell; the second, under the command of Capt. O'Connell, on 1 August 1846, at Wellington; the third, under the command of Lt.-Col. Gold, mainly wives and children, on 14 January 1847, at Auckland. Commanded by Lt.-Col. C. E. Gold, and later by Col. A. F. W. Wyatt, C.B. "New Zealand" worn on battle honours. The Wellington Regiment (City of Wellington's Own) is allied.



Photographer unknown :
Portrait of Colonel Withers NZ 65th Regiment. 
Ramsden, Eric :Photographs relating to Ramsden and his family and Maori subjects. 
Ref: PA2-2294. Alexander Turnbull Library, Wellington, New Zealand. http://natlib.govt.nz/records/22617072



Six soldiers of the Light Infantry Company, 65th Regiment. Ref: 1/2-025608-F. Alexander Turnbull Library, Wellington, New Zealand. http://natlib.govt.nz/records/23117771

John Mezger, brewer
John Mezger emigrated from Germany to Van Diemen's Land and is recorded as "naturalised" in 1835 (AOT: CSO1/1/760/16303). He was granted 34 acres of land in the north of Hobart, close to the Lady Franklin Museum, owned several houses including Cliefden, purchased for ₤278 in February 1839, and Lauderdale (1844) at New Town. He operated both a brewery and several hotels including the Bird-in Hand in Hobart and the Black Snake at Bridgewater. Convict Robert Tuck was assigned to John Mezger in 1835 as groom and house servant. Mezger's cargo on this voyage included dozens of hogsheads of beer, brandy, Teneriffe wine, Portugal wine, Geneva [i.e.  gin], and spirits, including rum. A case of cordials consigned to Captain Goldsmith was consumed en route.



W. B. GOULD [artist]
Liverpool, England 1803 – Hobart, Tasmania, Australia 1853
Australia from 1827
Mr John Mezger c.1842
oil on canvas oil on canvas 76.3 h x 63.3 w cm
Purchased 2010 Accession No: NGA 2010.322



Map - Buckingham 116 - parish of Hobart, allotments fronting New Town, Humphry's (Humphrey), Guy Fauks (Fawkes) and Hobart Town Rivulets and Brushy Creek, landholders HULL GEORGE, BROWN W C, BYE H, CUNNINGHAM, GEE, BRINDLY J, BROWN, MEZGER J and others
Description: 1 photographic print
ADRI:AF396-1-123
Source:Archives Office of Tasmania



The Bird in Hand, Argyle-street
TAHO Ref: SD_ILS:602319
John Mezger - Licensee - Bird-In-Hand Hotel, Argyle St, Hobart, 1842 - 1848
Record Type: Hotels & Properties
Year:1842 Record ID: NAME_INDEXES:464277
Resource HTG 7/10/1842, 8/10/1843, 1/10/1844, 7/10/1845, 6/10/1846, 2/10/1847, 30/9/1848

John Mezger's Silver Snuff Box
Former convict Charles Jones manufactured the goblet given by the Hobart City Corporation to Captain Edward Goldsmith in 1849 as a testimonial to his services to the colony, especially for his importation of plants from "the finest English nurseries." The whereabouts of Cpt Goldsmith's goblet which he said he would keep to his death, and which happened at Gads Hill, Higham, Kent in 1869, is not known. It may have been lost at sea, it may have stayed in the Goldsmith family until the death of his daughter-in-law Sarah Jane Goldsmith, in 1926, or sold at Gravesend at auction from Edward Goldsmith's estate in 1870. A year earlier than Charles Jones' manufacture of the goblet given to Edward Goldsmith, he made this snuff box for William Gore Elliston to be presented to John Mezger, in thanks for a kindness several years before.



 'THIS BOX IS PRESENTED TO JOHN MEZGER BY WILLIAM GORE ELLISTON IN GRATEFUL REMEMBRANCE OF A MOST DISINTERESTED ACT OF KINDNESS' 
Source: GOWAN'S SPECIAL ANTIQUE AUCTION JUNE 20TH 2015 - Sold $21,500.00





Departure for London January 1847
The return voyage to London on average was longer than 100 days, lasting at least three and half to four months. Although Captain Edward Goldsmith's voyage to Sydney in 1844 on the Parrock Hall was one of his fastest, 105 days, he was sometimes delayed at the Falkland Islands for repairs to the ship and supplies for the crew. Elizabeth Goldsmith nee Day would have arrived back in London too late for the birth and baptism of her niece Elizabeth Rachel Day at St Mary's Rotherhithe on 28th April 1847 (b. 26th March). This daughter of her brother Captain James Day and Rachael Pocock, named after her aunt and mother, would return to Hobart with her parents and become the fiancee of photographer Thomas J. Nevin by 1868, his wife by 1871, and mother of seven children by 1888.



The Hobart Courier 5 December 1846

TRANSCRIPT
For London To Sail in Early January
The new and remarkably fast-sailing barque RATTLER
552 Tons Register, EDWARD GOLDSMITH Commander, having a considerable portion of her cargo engaged will be despatched early in January. This ship has magnificent accommodation for cabin passengers, and the ‘tween-decks being exceedingly lofty, she offers an excellent opportunity for a limited number of steerage passengers.
A plan of the cabin may be seen, and rate of freight and passage learnt, by application to Captain Goldsmith on board, or to
THOS. D. CHAPMAN & Co. Macquarie-street, Nov. 17.



The Courier (Hobart, Tas. : 1840 - 1859) Sat 19 Dec 1846 Page 1 Classified Advertising

"... her wool engaged..."



The Great Wool Floor at the London Docks 1840s
Source: The Victorian Web



TRANSCRIPT
January 20.- Sailed the barque Rattler, Goldsmith master, for London, with a general cargo.
Passengers - Miss Rowe, Mrs Goldsmith, Messrs Lafferell, McDowell, Campbell, Shackleton, Best, Crawford, J. Horne, R. Hutt, G. Chambers, Mr and Mrs Benson and five children, Mr and Mrs Poole, Mrs Elphinston, and Mrs Dexter.
Source: Shipping Intelligence. PORT OF HOBART TOWN.
Colonial Times (Hobart, Tas. : 1828 - 1857) Friday 22 January 1847 p 2 Article

Cargo Outwards on the Rattler to London January 1847
On January 18th, 1847, T. D. Chapman's inspector Thomas Hall submitted this report of goods loaded at the Port of Hobart Town ready for shipment on the Rattler for London, Edward Goldsmith, Master. The initials of the exporters of wool are listed on this summary document. The initials of the exporters of whale oil and whale bone are separately encased in a diamond shape.





Per the Rattler for London, Goldsmith master
The growth and produce of Van Diemens Land
T. Chapman, exporter 18 Jan 1847

DETAILS: cargo shipped, per Rattler for London, 18 January 1847



To London per Rattler 18 January 1847
Bales of wool value £12,816



One hundred and five bales of wool value £1260



Twenty four bundles whalebone value £74
Twenty casks Southern Oil value £270



One hundred and twelve casks
Black oil 53 tons value £795
Twenty two bundles whalebone value £75



Natural curiosities value £10



One hundred and twenty four bags of wheat to London:
Rattler, Goldsmith, 18 January 1847: Shipper T. Chapman.

etc etc

View all of the Rattler's Customs Cockets from 1846 to 1852
Item Number: CUS36/1/442 View this record online



Title:Sunnyside Hobarton The Seat of Thos. D. Chapman ca. 1849
Author: Gritten, Henry, 1818-1873
Physical description: 1 painting : watercolour on Bristol board ; 452 x 557 mm. within mount
Archives Office Tasmania



Photograph attributed to H. H. Baily ca. 1870
Sunnyside, New Town, Mt. Wellington/kunanyi in background
Home of Thomas Daniel Chapman, merchant and politician
University of Tasmania Special Collections eprints