Friday, May 17, 2013

Cousins Edward and Elizabeth baptised at St Mary's Rotherhithe

COUSINS christened at St Marys ROTHERHITHE
EDWARD GOLDSMITH jnr (1836-1883)

Ordinance map of 19th century Rotherhithe and the Pool of London

St Mary's Church (A) Rotherhithe Google maps 2013

First cousins and both children of master mariners, Edward Goldsmith (1836-1883) and Elizabeth Rachel Day (1847-1914 ) were born in London and baptised at St Mary's Church, Rotherhithe, known as the Mayflower Church, one decade apart. Elizabeth Rachel Day arrived in Hobart Tasmania as an infant, where her sister Mary Sophia was born in 1853, and married professional photographer Thomas J. Nevin at Kangaroo Valley, Hobart on 12 July 1871. Edward Goldsmith made several voyages to Tasmania with his father Captain Edward Goldsmith, attended the Hutchins School there in 1850 and the Governor's Levee in 1855, went to Trinity College Cambridge in 1857, became a surgeon, married in 1870, managed his father's estates in Kent and died young at Rochester, UK, in 1883, just 46 yrs old.

  • Edward Goldsmith (b. Rotherhithe 12 December 1836 - d. Rochester UK 8 May 1883)
Father: Captain Edward Goldsmith (1804-1869); mother Elizabeth Day (1802-1875)
Spouse: Sarah Jane Goldsmith nee Rivers (1835-1926)
  • Elizabeth Rachel Day (b. Rotherhithe 26 March 1847 - d. Hobart Tasmania 18 June 1914)
Father: Captain James Day (1806-1882); mother Rachael Pocock (1812-1857)
Spouse: Thomas James Nevin (1842-1923)

British Museum
View of the church of St Mary Rotherhithe, in London, from the graveyard.
1802 Pen and ink with grey wash

Floating Dock Rotherhithe 1815,
Parish Church of St Mary the Virgin in background
Drawn by L. Francia and engraved by J. C. Allen, published by W. B. Cooke, 1815.

1836: Edward Goldsmith jnr
Edward Goldsmith was the second son and the only surviving son after the death of his older brother Richard Sydney Goldsmith from fever in Hobart (1854) of master mariner Captain Edward Goldsmith (1804-1869) whose residence in 1829 was Rotherhithe, London, when he married Richard and Edward's mother Elizabeth Day (1802-1875) at Liverpool, UK. She was the sister of master mariner Captain James Day (1806-1882), after whom his daughter Elizabeth Rachel Day was named who became the wife of photographer Thomas J. Nevin in Hobart in 1871.

Edward Goldsmith
Christened 24 December 1836 at St Mary's Rotherhithe, Surrey UK
All records courtesy of the website FamilySearch:

Although just five years old, Edward was listed in the UK Census of 1841.

Edward Goldsmith jnr may have attended The Amicable School established by sea captains at St Mary's Rotherhithe. The school master lived there in this little house where he also taught his pupils.

The Amicable School, St Mary's, Rotherhithe
Photo courtesy: emm in london

If Edward Goldsmith jnr attended school at Rotherhithe while still a small child, by his teens he was enrolled at the Hutchins School, Hobart. The Hutchins School recorded his date of birth on admission as 12th Dec. 1837, a full year later than the ODM record (above) of birth on 12 Dec. 1836 and christening on 24th December 1836, an error perhaps made at enrolment.

"January 25, 1850: Goldsmith, Edward 13, Dec. 12th, 1837 son of Capt Goldsmith . Davey Street. left."

Name: Goldsmith, Edward
Record Type: Education
Age: 13
Property: Hutchins School
Admission dates: 25 Jan 1850
Remarks: Davey Street
Date of birth: 12 Dec 1837 [sic, viz. 1836]
Record ID: NAME_INDEXES:1526642
Resource: NS36-1-1 Page 11
Libraries Tasmania (Archives Office)

Edward Goldsmith jnr attended Hutchins School in the company of the sons of his father's business associates, colonists Messrs Bedford, Dixon, Stewart, Metzger, Sharland etc. all listed for the years 1850-51.

Photograph - Hobart - Macquarie Street - old Hutchins School
Item Number: PH1/1/14
Start Date: 01 Jan 1870
End Date:31 Dec 1870
Source: Archives Office of Tasmania

In 1855, as a young man approaching twenty, Edward Goldsmith jnr accompanied his father Captain Edward Goldsmith to the Governor's Levee in Hobart. See this article here for those who also attended. But by 1856 he was back in the UK, enrolled at Trinity College Cambridge where he matriculated at Michaelmas in 1857. He may have joined the Army - there is a listing for Edward Goldsmith in 1858 at the Crimean War - but afterwards studied medicine and became a surgeon. He married Sarah Jane Rivers from Deptford in July 1870.

GOLDSMITH, EDWARD. Adm. pens. (age 20) at TRINITY, June 5, 1857. S. of Edward, Capt., of Gadshill, near Rochester, Kent. [B. Dec. 12, 1836, at Rotherhithe.] Migrated to Caius, Oct. 5. 1857. Matric. Michs. 1857. resided one term. Said to have entered the Army; afterwards studied medicine. Married. 'Died somewhat young.' (Venn, ii, 338)

Edward Goldsmith's marriage to Sarah Jane Rivers
Morning Post London 18 July 1870

GOLDSMITH-RIVERS. - On the 14th inst., at St. Margaret's -next-Rochester, by the Rev. H. F. Rivers, M. A., brother of the bride, Mr. Edward Goldsmith, of Higham, to Sarah Jane, only daughter of W. T. Rivers, Esq., Rochester.
On the death of his father in 1869 at Gadshill Lodge (situated inside his estate of 6 acres which included Gadshill House - leased to Mr. Dods - on Telegraph Hill, Higham), Edward Goldsmith contested his father's will in 1871 in a Chancery suit against his mother Elizabeth Goldsmith, widow, and his father's executors, William Bell Bentley and Alfred Bentley. He also contested his father's legacy against his Tasmanian cousins, legatees Mary Sophia Day and Elizabeth Rachel Day. In 1872 both Elizabeth Nevin and her husband, photographer Thomas Nevin, were named in a Chancery suit as defendants, along with Edward jnr and his mother, this time lodged in the name of Elizabeth's younger sister, Mary Sophia Day as the plaintiff (Ref: National Archives UK C16/781 C546012). .

Goldsmith v. Goldsmith, Chancery, London Times, 3 June 1871
Edward Goldsmith jnr's "Cause" against his mother Elizabeth Goldsmith

PURSUANT to an ORDER of the High Court of Chancery, made in the Matter of the Estate of EDWARD GOLDSMITH, late of Gad's Hill, Higham, in the county of Kent, gentleman (who died in or about the month of July 1869), are on or before the 12th day of April 1871, to send by post, prepaid, to Mr. Thomas Sismey, of No. 11, Serjeant's Inn, Fleet-street, London, the solicitor for the defendants Elizabeth Goldsmith, widow, William Bell Bentley, and Alfred Bentley, the executors of the deceased, their Christian and surnames, and the Christian and surnames or any partner or partners, their addresses and descriptions, the full particulars of their claims, a statement of their accounts, and the nature of the securities if any held by them or in default thereof they will be peremptorily excluded from the benefit of the said Order. Every creditor holding any security is to produce the same before the Vice Chancellor Sir John Stuart, at his Chambers, situated No. 13 Old-square, Lincoln's Inn, Middlesex, on Saturday, the 23rd day of April 1871, at Twelve o'clock at noon, being the time appointed for adjudicating on the claims. - Dated the 23rd day of February 1871
H.F. CHURCH, Chief Clerk

Death of Edward Goldsmith jnr, 19 May 1883 Whitstable Times

In the 1881 UK Census, Edward Goldsmith, aged 44 yrs, and his wife Sarah Jane Goldsmith, aged 43yrs, born at Deptford, Kent in 1838, were resident at 13 Upper Clarence Place, Rochester, Kent, next door to the house at No. 11 Upper Clarence Place where Charles Dickens' mistress Ellen Ternan was born. Edward's income was "HOUSES" in 1881. He had inherited extensive leaseholds and real estate from his father Captain Edward Goldsmith, and his mother Elizabeth Goldsmith nee Day, but by 1883, Edward was deceased, at just 46yrs old. He was buried with his parents at St Mary the Virgin Church, known as "Chalk Church", Chalk, Kent, one of Dickens' favoured venue for Sunday worship, daily walks, and fictional settings.

Edward was buried at Chalk Church near Higham, Kent in 1883, in the family grave where his father Captain Edward Goldsmith (1804-1869) and mother Elizabeth Day (1802-1875) were buried. His wife Sarah Jane Goldsmith nee Rivers, who died in 1926, was also included in the gravesite and named on the plaque on the nave inside the church. His brother who died in in Hobart in 1854 was buried at St. David's Cemetery opposite the Goldsmith residence at 19 Davey Street, Hobart, Tasmania. His parents were not only contemporaries of Charles Dickens, they were neighbours at Gadshill, Higham, Kent, and Chalk Church was a common place of worship.

Chalk Church, Higham, Kent.
Aerial shot above showing the churchyard graves.

1847: Elizabeth Rachel Day

Edward's cousin Elizabeth Rachel Day was born at Rotherhithe, London and baptised at St Marys Church Rotherhithe on the 28th May 1847. Her parents had married in Hobart six years earlier, at St David's Church on 6th January 1841. She was the eldest daughter and sister of Mary Sophia Day, who was born in Hobart in 1853. Their father, master mariner Captain James Day (1806-1882), born in Yorkshire where his sister married Captain Edward Goldsmith in 1829, had served as master, navigator and first mate on his brother-in-law's early voyages and continued service as a master mariner in the Australian Ordinary Trade Service until his death in Hobart in 1882. Elizabeth Rachel Day and Mary Sophia Day's mother Rachael Day nee Pocock died of consumption on 14 April 1857 at New Town, Hobart. Elizabeth Day married photographer Thomas James Nevin on 12th July, 1871, at the Wesleyan Chapel, Kangaroo Valley (Lenah Valley), Hobart.

Elizabeth Rachael [sic - she dropped the "a" on marriage] Day, christened on 28th April 1847 at St Mary's Church Rotherhithe UK.

St Mary's Church Rotherhithe London
In 1838, when the well-known ship Temeraire was broken up, some of her timbers were used to build a communion table and two bishop's chairs in the Rotherhithe church.

St. Mary's Church, Rotherhithe, London. The Mayflower Church
This is a charming handmade video narrated by Richard Goodwin, outlining the history of St. Mary's Church Rotherhithe on a walking tour.

St Mary's Church at Wikipedia
As befits a church near the merchant activity on the river, there are several maritime connections. The communion table in the Lady Chapel and two bishop's chairs are made from salvaged timber from the warship HMS Temeraire. The ship's final journey to the breaker's yard at Deptford was made famous by Turner in his evocative painting The Fighting Temeraire, now in theNational Gallery.
In the church a memorial marks the final resting place of Christopher Jones, captain of the Mayflower, which took the Pilgrim Fathers to North America in 1620.
It is also the burial place of Prince Lee Boo of Palau, a Pacific Island prince.
Nearby are some of London's Nordic churches and missions to seafarers.

The Fighting Temeraire tugged to her last berth to be broken up, 1838 by J. M. W. Turner, 1838.


On board the "City of Hobart" 31st January 1872